Odorcarb ultra media is the first activated alumina-based media that removes 0.30 grams (g) of odorous hydrogen sulfide gas (H2S) per cubic centimeter (cc) of media. It is the primary media in Purafil’s odor control systems for wastewater treatment applications. Odorcarb Ultra media contains Media Life Indicator Pellets (patent-pending) which offer a visual indication of remaining media life, by changing from blue to white when media is spent.
Odorcarb™ Ultra, an activated alumina-based media shall consist of manufactured, generally spherical porous pellets measuring 1/16” to 1/4” in diameter. Pellets shall be formed from a combination of powdered activated carbon, alumina, other binders, and reactive components for the removal of hydrogen sulfide. For optimal odor control, Odorcarb™ Ultra is used in conjunction with Purafil’s Odormix™ SP.
The Chemisorptive Process
The chemisorptive process shall remove contaminant gases by means of adsorption, absorption, and chemical reaction. Gases shall be trapped within the pellet where an irreversible chemical reaction changes the gases into harmless solids, eliminating the possibility of desorption.
Odorcarb™ Ultra Media shall meet the following removal capacity for hydrogen sulfide: 0.30 g H2S/cc of media.
- HYDROGEN SULFIDE: 47.0% minimum by weight
Odorcarb™ Ultra Media shall have the following physical properties:
- Moisture Content: 35% Maximum
- Crush Strength: 35% - 70%
- Abrasion: 4.5% Maximum
- Bulk Density:40 lbs/ft3 (0.64 g/cc) +5%
- Nominal Pellet Diameter: 1/16” - 1/4” (1.5 mm - 6.5 mm)
- Sodium Permanganate Content: 12% Min.
Purafil’s Odorcarb™ Ultra Media is ideal for use in environments requiring control of hydrogen sulfide gas, such as wastewater treatment plants, pumping stations, wet wells, lift stations and sludge holding tanks.
Odorcarb™ Ultra Media shall perform effectively under the following conditions and guidelines:
- Temperature: -4° F to 125° F (-20° C to 51° C)
- Humidity: 10 - 95% RH
- Airflow: Odorcarb™ Ultra Media shall be effective in Purafil systems, including the Drum Scrubber with airflows from 100 to 1,000 CFM (170 to 1699 m3/hr), Tub Scrubber with airflows from 500 to 6,000 CFM (850 to 10,194 m3/hr) and Deep Bed Scrubber with airflows from 600 to 8,000 CFM (1,020 to 13,592 m3/hr). Odorcarb™ Ultra Media shall also be effective in Vessel Scrubbers with airflows from 8,000 to 20,000 cfm (13,592 to 33,980 m3/hr) and Parallel Bed Scrubbers with airflows from 8,000 to 40,000 CFM (13,592 to 67,960 m3/hr).
Odorcarb Ultra Advantages
- Landfill disposable
- New and spent media is non-toxic
- UL Classified
- Media Life Indicator Pellets (patent-pending) offer a visual indication of remaining media life.
Installation & Disposal Requirements
- Installation: Installers shall use dust masks, safety goggles, and rubber gloves.
- Disposal: Spent Purafil Media should be disposed of according to local, state and federal guidelines.